LMSR Coronation Class, LMS No. 6235, British Railways No. 46235 City of Birmingham was originally built in 1939 at Crewe, and entered LMS stock in July 1939, one of the third batch. As built it was streamlined and was the first to be fitted with a double chimney (previous locomotives being built with single chimneys and later modified). Its livery was LMS crimson lake with cheat lines, but during the Second World War it acquired austere unlined black livery. Though it carried the name City of Birmingham from new, 6235 was officially named at a ceremony at Birmingham New Street on 20 March 1945, and a special coat of arms plate was then fitted above the nameplate. The streamlining was removed for maintenance reasons in April 1946, making 6235 the first streamliner to be un-streamlined, and at the same time it was fitted with smoke deflectors, and livery continued to be black.
6235 passed to British Railways ownership in 1948, and in March was given the BR number 46235, which was applied in May. It was one of the engines given the short-lived blue livery for top express passenger engines in 1950. In April 1952, the semi-streamlined sloping smokebox front was replaced with a round-topped smokebox. City of Birmingham was repainted into BR Brunswick Green livery from April 1953, and it retained this livery through withdrawal in September 1964 and through into preservation.
46235 was prepared by BR for preservation, and after storage at Nuneaton MPD, moved to the Birmingham Museum of Science and Industry.
This painting was voted Picture of the Year at Rail Art 2018.
Signed giclee print on museum stock paper
Image size: 910mm x 450mm
City of Birmingham by John Austin
- Artist: John Austin FGRA
- Product Code: JACBH
- Availability: In Stock