South Eastern & Chatham Railway, Wainwright D-class locomotive No.747, complete with a train of new 'Birdcage' coaching stock, leaves Ramsgate Harbour Station in 1911 with the 11:55am Easter holiday departure for London Victoria.
It is about to enter the ¾ mile long harbour tunnel and begin the 1 in 75 climb up to Broadstairs station.
Ramsgate Harbour Station was opened by The Kent Coast Railway in 1863, becoming part of the LCDR 8 years years later.
The station was popular with day trippers and holidaymakers alike, being less than a one minute walk from the beach.
With the reorganisation of railways in Thanet by the Southern Railway in 1926, the station closed in July of that year.
Acrylics on canvas - Unframed
75cms x 50cms
Ramsgate Harbour Station by Steve Wyse HonGRA
- Artist: Steve Wyse HonGRA
- Painting Code: SWRHS
- Availability: Available To Buy